Saturday 28 January 2017

Family Backpack



In the last week of the summer holidays we went on a family backpack in the Tongariro National Park area.  Most of the time we could see the mountain Ruapehu, but on our last day we got some good views of Ngauruhoe.  We saw so many cool waterfalls, and we walked across heaps and heaps of rivers, making it hopeless to try to stay dry.

Majestical Views

Crossing a typical river (I don't know where my backpack was at this particular moment)


A couple of the waterfalls were surrounded by cliffs, with waterfalls on all sides.  You can't tell from this picture but if you had 360 view you could see lots of other waterfalls.

We hiked along this river for a while, eventually stopping to get in.  One of the holes we swam in had a fun nature-made water slide (a rock) that you could slide down into the pool of water.  

We hiked into this waterfall.  (We ended up jumping in)

For the majority of our hike, the terrain was similar to this- heaps of rocks with bushes or shrubs.  On the first and last day, however, we were in bush/jungle.

Oak and I climbed behind this waterfall and so we could see the water fall falling in front of us, with waterfalls all around.

The soles of my shoes came almost completely off so Oak used string to tie them together

Looking out at Lake Surprise

  
A Half n' Half shot with Mom and a cool waterfall in the background

3 comments:

  1. Very cool. Mercy. Love the pictures. I'm excited to hear more about your adventures. I subscribed to your blog so it would come in my emails 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the photos and your descriptions. Mostly, I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun to be able to follow your adventures! Love it! Hope your bday was great!!

    ReplyDelete